Like a regular check-up for your health or for your vehicle, it’s important to stay on a schedule for maintaining your home — and that includes your Modern-Shed.
Modern-Sheds are built with the highest-quality materials. However, nothing lasts forever, and there are some simple, regular steps you can take to extend the life of your Modern-Shed and ensure that it remains in tip-top shape for years to come.
Below, some tips on maintaining your Modern-Shed for the upcoming months, and what to do on a regular basis year-round.
Most Modern Sheds are small and need little monthly maintenance. However, larger structures, such as an ADU would be like any home:
- If you have a bathroom in your Modern-Shed, be sure to clean faucets and showerheads regularly to remove deposits from minerals.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers regularly.
- Inspect and unclog sink drains if needed.
- Inspect electrical cords for wear.
- Vacuum heat vents.
- Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are not blocked.
- If you have a water heater, flush out hot water from the water heater to remove sediment that has accumulated.
Spring is a great time for Spring Cleaning. Here are some other steps you should take to maintain your home and your Modern-Shed:
- Sand and re-finish any natural wood surfaces exposed to weather, including cedar and most importantly the end grain surface of the large roof beam. It is of utmost importance to keep all exposed wood surfaces protected from the elements.
- Inspect door seals and tracks for debris to keep from leaking.
- Inspect your Modern-Shed roof for leaks or damage to the metal due to high winds or debris.
- Inspect the upper transom frames and re-caulk as necessary to keep from leaking – between each frame, where they meet the roof and where they meet the topcap.
- Inspect and re-caulk as necessary, the corner joints of the topcap (the piece of wood the transom frame windows sit on)
- Clean your gutters (do this again in the fall)
- Clean window and door screens.
- Refinish your deck.
- Power-wash windows and siding.
- If you have the Modern Shed unique rain screen system, vacuum any bugs and debris from the spaces, especially at the bottom. This is needed to ensure rainwater is running out at the bottom.
- Inspect sink, shower, and bath caulking for deterioration.
- Repair or replace caulking and weather stripping around windows, doors, and wall through holes for electric and cable and plumbing.
- Remove lint from inside and outside washer hoses and dryer vents.
- Check around cabinets and around toilets for leaks.
- Replace interior and exterior faucet and showerhead washers if needed.
- Seal tile grout.
- Prune trees and shrubs.